Get Help

This is what to do if you are sexually assaulted.



Your Safety is our Top Priority

Get to a safe place.

If you are in danger or need medical care, call 9-1-1. If you need to call a trusted friend or loved one for support and comfort, do so. Both physical safety and emotional safety are important during this time.


You Have Options

Call a sexual assault service provider.

Click here to find a Rape Crisis Center or a sexual assault service provider near you. From there you will be able to link directly to the service directory with the contact information you need.

Receive medical attention.

You may not think that receiving medical care is necessary. But by going to the hospital you can receive a forensic medical exam (often referred to as a “rape kit”) which will aid in the collection and preservation of physical evidence as a result of the assault. If possible, you may want to consider contacting a hospital who has a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). A SANE is a registered nurse who has been specifically trained to provide comprehensive care to sexual violence victims.

Click here to find a hospital near you with SANEs. Important note: You can consent to a medical examination and the collection of evidence and still withhold consent to release the evidence to the police. You can decide later to file a police report and participate in the prosecution of your assailant.

Call the police.

You may contact the police to file a police report. By filing a police report, you will be creating a formal, legal record of the crime that was committed against you. If the police are called to the scene, you are under no obligation to file a formal report.

Don’t worry about cost.

The cost of a forensic medical exam is covered by the state of Indiana through Crime Victims Compensation. It is against state and federal law for a victim to pay any out-of-pocket costs for a forensic medical exam.

Subscribe For Updates